Chicken & Sausauge Gumbo.
Posted in: Rice / Grains
Wed, Nov 23, 2011, 06:00, 12 Years ago
0 out of 5 with 0 ratings
- Brown sausage in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Remove to paper towels, leaving drippings in Dutch oven.
- Brown chicken in drippings; remove to paper towels, reserving drippings.
- Measure drippings, adding enough oil to measure 1/2 cup.
- Heat in Dutch oven over medium heat until hot.
- Add flour to hot oil; cook, stirring constantly, until roux is the color of chocolate (about 30 minutes).
- Add onion and bell pepper; cook until vegetables are tender, stirring often.
- Gradually stir in water; bring to a boil.
- Return chicken breasts to Dutch oven; add garlic and next 5 ingredients.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 1 hour.
- Remove chicken; let cool.
- Return sausage to Dutch oven; cook gumbo, uncovered, 50 minutes.
- Add salt, if desired.
- Bone chicken breasts and cut into strips.
- Add to gumbo and cook until thoroughly heated.
- Remove bay leaves.
Serving Suggestions: Serve gumbo over rice. Sprinkle with gumbo file, if desired.
1 pound hot smoked sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices4 chicken breast halves, skinned1/4 to 1/3 cup vegetable oil3/4 cup all-purpose flour1 cup chopped onion1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper2 quarts hot water3 cloves garlic, minced2 bay leaves2 teaspoons creole seasoning1/2 teaspoon dried whole thyme1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot sauce1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)Hot cooked riceGumbo file (optional)